I read Don Banks’ article this morning regarding the backup situations of each team at the QB position. While Banks pointed out that all three of Detroits starters last year are projected to be backups somewhere at some point this season, he also missed out that there are four other former Lions QB’s expected to win a #2 job in 2009.
Does it surprise any Detroit Fans that we’ve had backups under center for the last 10 years?
Here’s how it breaks down:
- Jeff Garcia – Oakland
- Jon Kitna – Dallas
- Dan Orlovsky – Houston
- JT O’Sullivan – Cincinnati
- Charlie Batch – Pittsburgh
- Joey Harrington – New Orleans
- Daunte Culpepper – Detroit*
* he’ll be a backup at some point, barring a miracle, which I would welcome. Barring that fact that a Detroit QB will always be in Detroit, look at these numbers for a minute — of the other 31 teams in the league, roughly 20% will be counting on an Ex-Lions starter to keep their playoff dreams alive if their Franchise QB goes down. So while Detroit hasn’t really been a breeding ground for top-tier starting QB’s for the last 10 years, apparently Detroit has been a great place to raid for an experienced and solid clipboard holder.
One thing is for sure about the Quarterback position right now in Detroit, asWojo points out in this well written piece over at the Detroit News — there is genuine competition, and genuine talent at Quarterback in Detroit right now. Maybe, just maybe, this is the year Detroit finally has Starting Caliber NFL Quarterbacks leading the team, instead of backups.