Pardon my absence this week — it was “fantasy draft week” for me, and it took more time than I anticipated. My apologies.
Exciting stuff in Lions land with the preseason game — I was only able to catch the majority of the second half. Loved what I saw! But more on that later…right now, time for my answers to the Church of Schwartz. This week’s question is simple: Name the final 53.
Yikes. We predicted our “30 Locks” before camp, so I am going to update that list to the present for this piece. I will still look and see how our predictions turned out based on who is left Sunday night.
- QB: Culpepper, Stanton, Stafford
- WR: CJ, BJ, Williams, Standeford, Looker
- RB: Kevin Smith, Maurice Morris, Aaron Brown, Triston Davis
- FB: Jerome Felton, Terelle Smith
- TE: Pettigrew, Heller, Fitzsimmons
- OLine: Loper, Peterman, Raiola, Backus, Cherilus — Jansen, Ramierez, Brown
- DT: Grady Jackson, Landon Cohen, Sam Hill, S. Smith
- DE: White, Avril, Fluellen, Hunter
- DE/DT: IAF
- LB: Peterson, Sims, Foote, Levy, Dizon, Bing, Follett
- CB: Anthony Henry, P. Buchanon, Eric King, R. Robinson, William James
- S: Delmas, Pearson, Manuel, Schweigert
- ST: Hanson, Harris, Muhlbach
- QB: These three are set, though I could see Stanton to IR, keep O’Connel, and let O’Connel and Stanton battle for the #2 spot behind Stafford in 2010.
- WR: I obviously went with a stunner and left Northcutt off this list, but he could easily bump Looker or Standeford.
- RB: I chose 5 backs, mainly because I think that Davis would end up inactive most game days, but be a good asset to have on the team. Could go with an extra Olineman, TE, or even defender here.
- FB: There are only two, and they are both safe. Felton doubles as short-yardage back.
- TE: See RB. I like Gronk, but he is headed for the practice squad.
- Oline: Could keep Salaam (see above). Murtha they will risk on waivers to attempt to get him to the practice squad.
- DT: Could easily be Darby (I hope not) or Harris with the last spot. I just have no idea
- DE: Pretty confident on this one. Flu looks good against the run at LDE.
- DE/DT: Can’t seem to cut IAF for some reason. They could easily go with an extra LB or Dback in this spot.
- LB: If they do keep 8 LB (I doubt) then add Spenser Smith. Smith could also beat out Follett for the 7th spot — totally a coin flip at this point for me, but I went with Follett as he has been doing an excellent job killing the return guys in preseason.
- CB: Roberson or Robinson, I’m not sure who stays. Unless they keep 6 CB’s, it’s not both.
- S: Schweigert could lose out to lowry…but I’m hoping not, as I didn’t see a lot out of Lowry.
- ST: Hanson will be fine, and Cundiff cut. If not…well, goodbye extra defender, or that 4th luxury back I had up top there…