Thursday, April 15, 2010

“Buyer Beware”

“Buyer Beware”

April 15th, 2010 | by detfan1979 |

I had some schedule changes that filled the times when I used to blog, but opened up others. It is taking me some time to get adjusted, but I seem to finally be back on track. Sadly, I also sprained my ankle this week which got me to thinking…

See, I’ve sprained this ankle before a couple of times. Throw in other various injuries over the years and I had to laugh at the fact that maybe I’m ”injury prone”. After seeing that Casey Fitzsimmons is retiring due to multiple concussions however, my thoughts on the matter turned a little more seriously to the Detroit Lions and potential draft picks.

How many of these names ring a bell? Teddy Lehman, Boss Bailey? Shawn Cody, Kalimba Edwards? Drew Stanton, Gerald Alexander, Alama-Francis?

Guys drop in the draft for a reason. Sometimes it’s a good reason, sometimes they are a steal – sometimes, it’s buyer beware. A deal too good to be true often is. Mike Williams “falls” to you seems to be a fit there. Keep in mind guys like Wooten fans are pumped about in the 2nd round could be the next Kalimba Edwards. Jahvid Best could be the next Brian Westbrook — or the next Brian Calhoun.

Despite troubles in drafting under Millen, I think Mayhew’s pick of Deandre Levy in the 3rd after “passing” twice on bigger name LB’s is a hint of what’s to come. We fans don’t have all the information that the teams do, and the Lions finally have a front office that seems to be taking advantage of their resources, andplanning well. {A voice shouts “Calhoun!” from the back of the room days are finally behind us, I think}

Mayhew is going to have “buyer beware” etched in his brain in the memory of blown draft picks of years past as he fields offers Friday and evaluateswho is left on the board after the first round draws to a close on Thursday. The Bronco’s have two second round picks and could be candidates to trade up to #34 now too. Whatever the package or players, I have confidence that Mayhew will weigh all the options and pull the trigger on what he thinks will fit the team’s plans the best in the long run.

Rating: 9.3/10 (11 votes cast)
Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • E-mail this story to a friend!
  • NewsVine
  • Technorati
  • TwitThis

5 Responses to ““Buyer Beware””

  1. By Clusterfox on Apr 15, 2010

    Agree 100%. For all the people out there that are sure they have it figured; If Mayhew is thinking buyer beware,How can Suh be such a Slam dunk? Knees are not a joke in the interior DL. I believe Mayhew will throw us for a loop.
    I still believe we are in a great spot.If Suh goes first, I’m sure someone will want to come up and get Bradford. If Bradford goes first, I believe someone will contemplate taking the pick of the DTs. Maybe CLE, being as we have there #2 DT and Shaun Rogers could be staring at some jail time( suspension atleast). I hate talking trade downs because its so hard to accomplish. But I believe if you lower the asking price to move down and Net the same talent( or atleast a better fit) is it not a plus for us? I personally would love to see them move back, get what they want, even if they don’t get “Value” for the trade(I trust their evaluations).Go Lions

    Clusterfox

    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
  2. By Pancho Smith on Apr 15, 2010

    Tampa has two second round picks too. It’s possible that the Lions could trade down from the 2.2 pick to Tampa’s 2.10 pick if Tampa offers their 3.3 pick for the 2.2 pick plus other considerations.

    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
  3. By DetFan1979 on Apr 15, 2010

    Depending on who is available, I could see Detroit jumping on 2.10 and 3.3 for 2.2.

    If Matthews makes it to their pick, or Wilson then I think the Lions stay and take him unless it’s a really good package. going from 2.2 and 3.2 to 2.10, 3.2 and 3.3 would be great for Detroit. If Tate makes it that far, they could also nab another player — I’m thinking 3.2 is Tate if he’s there for some reason. Just a gut call.

    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
  4. By Clusterfox on Apr 16, 2010

    I like that as well. Tell me if I wrong, but I have been looking over the mocks and I’d be much happier if they target the group of RB at the top of the 3rd instead of the 2nd.(unless Matthews falls)but the likes of Tate, Gerhart, and possibly Dwyer seem a better fit and value than taking Best.(Even Hardesty might be around in 4). My point is that Best might be faster than these others, but is he really a full round or 2 better than all these backs for us.

    Clusterfox

    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
  5. By detfan1979 on Apr 16, 2010

    I would also prefer they look at RB at the top of three versus the top of two. I think the value is better there. If they trade back, the middle to late second wouldn’t be bad either but I think there will be a better pick to be made (or traded) at the top of two than a RB.

    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)

No comments: