Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Detroit Steamroller

Detroit Steamroller

December 16th, 2009 | by detfan1979 |

I’ve got a Manheim Steamroller Christmas CD playing the background, and as I try to digest this game is seems perfectly appropriate. For the first time this season, there are few if any Silver linings on these Honolulu blue clouds. Daunte Culpepper better not be back, as he was worse than I feared. Start Stanton against Arizona if Stafford isn’t good to go. I’ll be attending the game, and would have liked to see Smith in action, as well as Stafford and CJ. Now Smith is out for the season (along with Fitzsimmons) and Stafford may not play.

The Lions got blown out in this game. Period. The defense actually held a bit in the first half, but after the miscues and messups, and ineffectiveness of the offense the defense just plain folded in the second half. If the offense scores some points instead of handing the ball over on short fields, the defense played well enough at first and may have been able to keep them in the game.

I’m an optimist, but the Cardinals could set offensive scoring records by the bushel-full this week. If you have Arizona offensive players, and your opponent doesn’t, you can start polishing your fantasy football trophy now! Seriously, though, these last injuries are the straw that broke the camel’s back. Smith was still getting them into 3rd and short situations, and yet it would still end up either a turnover or a punt. The lack of overall talent, compounded by injuries, has finally forced the team from competitive back to 11 guys on the field. I’m still going to hold off on draft talk (I know, I think I’m the only one) because there will be several months of that in just a few short weeks.

So what happens for the Arizona game? At running back, you will see Maurice Morris and Aaron Brown. I hope like heck we see more of Jerome Felton. After using him well early, it seems as if his ability to bulldoze the opposition as a power runner has been forgotten again. Why Felton is not utilized as a runner more, especially in short yardage and goal line situations, is a mystery that now spans two seasons and coaching staffs. When given the chance in game, he has gotten the job done. Lets hope we see a lot of him on Sunday.

The Lions did pick up a CB/PR/KOR that Jacksonville tried to slide through waivers. Maybe he will finally be the first player at any of those positions to show enough flashes to give some hope a possible answer may be on the team for next season.

Drew Stanton: Is the reason they aren’t playing Drew if Matthew doesn’t start because they know Culpepper will be gone, and would rather have him take the hits from what is likely to be leaky play from the OG, TE, and RB spots?? It may sound cruel, but if anyone gets injured again at the QB spot this season, I think they would most like that man to be Culpepper. Better the FA than your franchise QB or your #2 guy for next season. Cold, but possibly true.

On defense, I do see some hope outside of the secondary. They really only need one monster DT, an impact DE, 2 CB’s and a S. Despite this, they have played beyond their ability for the most part all season and Gunther has gotten more from them than I think most anyone but the most delusional fan expected this season. The offense has been a let down for me, but the defense has been a (relatively) pleasant surprise.

I guess this was a bit of a rambling type of post, but what else can you expect when you just got ran over by a steamroller? I guess one bright spot this Sunday will be that I get a chance to spend time with my brother, and see an exciting offensive display reminiscent of the greatest show on turf orchestrated by Warner to Fitz and Boldin. I’ll see good football from one team on Sunday; unfortunately, I don’t think it will be from the team I’ll be rooting for.

Rating: 10.0/10 (2 votes cast)
Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • E-mail this story to a friend!
  • NewsVine
  • Technorati
  • TwitThis

5 Responses to “Detroit Steamroller”

  1. By Dean on Dec 16, 2009

    I have been watching the Lions for over 30 years. I can remember some trouncings such as the Philadelphia (or was it Washington?) playoff game and Scott Mitchell’s 7 interceptions. The difference was at least that team had more talent. Detroit was utterly manhandled Sunday. I agree the defense was OK the first half but it got REAL ugly after that. The tackling was was a joke with the worst offense being the Raven back that was down at the 3 yard line but nobody wrapped him up so he promptly continued into the endzone. I also agree about Fenton. I keep looking for him every week and when I don’t see him in there (I know he was hurt for a few games) I begin to wonder if I was just imagining him knocking down all sorts of opposing defense players.
    I will be at the Arizona game screaming my lungs out for the Lions. I am rooting for a big upset!

    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
  2. By Lopper on Dec 16, 2009

    Hey Detfan,

    Do you think that there is any chance that the Lions will pick up Incognito to help out at gaurd. I watched the game with the 2 head butts, and the second one wasn’t really that bad, it was more of a block from his knees. I didn’t see the first one, so I don’t know how bad it was.
    It just seems like any NFL gaurd that has consistently started for another team should be worth bringing in and taking a look at, considering the position the Lions are in at gaurd.

    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
  3. By Lopper on Dec 17, 2009

    Looks like he was picked up by the Bills.

    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
  4. By Isphet on Dec 18, 2009

    Tackling dummy: a facsimile of a real player to practice tackling on so that real players do not get hurt.

    Culpepper: the 6 million dollar tackling dummy.

    That’s one hell of an expensive tackling dummy.

    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
  5. By chiefger139 on Dec 19, 2009

    I was hoping I could of got those free tickets they were talkin about of season ticket holders who dropped out-but we had the end zone upper deck seats, well maybe the middle deck and they probaly gaave them to the 50 yard line guys-I couldnt get 4 guys to go with me to last years wasington game-got my dad, and none of his friends or mine would go for free!! with me driving-had trouble getting people to go to all my games I had-finally forced one of the other in the group to come and bring there dad. Too bad was hopin they would of gave us the tickets and we could of come up with a way of gettin our tickets back-maybe we still will-early yet and sure availability is not a problem, dont give them much hope-been cryin all week fetish has the cardnails d and with c-pepp startin they will shut us out-started boldin but didnt hightower cause i know hightowers in the dog house-may be sorry, have there kicker too so hope we can hold them to field goals-the cardnails, the colts and the bengals were my fantasy teams that carried me and hope to win the league-would love to see stanton but dont want to see c-pep get hurt hopefully swartz takes him out in the 3rd quater and lets stanton play-stanton must really stink for them not to play him-I would big time!! Hes just not a good practice player-many are not this way-yet many are kings in practice but fold when it counts-they need to give him a chance-but yet maybe they hate the non-good practice player and feel if he does excell it will destroy everything they have been workin for-hope not-that kind of attitude killed coach rod and may be why were always the bottom dwellers-bring back fontz he knew this-jimmy johnson knows this many others!! go lions and go chief in fantasy football!!

    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)

No comments: